Image Map

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Super Saturday: A Thrifty LM Mom's guide to saving, organizing and beyond!

If I step on another toy…


When my first child was born and the only one around for two years I did not really notice a mess because my time was devoted to him and cleaning up any toys he had strewn about. Two and half years later and now we have number two. I have less time to pick up toys between my two children, doctors visits, and my full time job. I was in search for a simple, efficient, yet cheap organization system. I needed something that I could pick up quickly and my son could help. I did not want to step on another matchbox car.

I searched all the big box stores for cheap toy boxes, bookshelves, and other storage pieces but soon realized that all of the inexpensive pieces were in fact cheap and would not hold up to my climber! Then a friend suggested I check out online garage sale sites and to my surprise I found tons in my area.

On FB I found several pages devoted to kid’s swaps and home good swaps in my area. I was able to pick up two affordable bookshelves. These bookshelves were definitely well loved but they were solid wood –exactly what I wanted.

I took my two year old with me on a trip to a local hardware store and let him choose what color he wanted for the shelves in the spray paint aisle. After swaying him from the neon pink and orange he chose a nice red color! I then went home and spray painted my shelves (outside or course). I got two magnificent climbing kid friendly bookshelves for under $30!! I placed baskets on the bookshelves for my son to put his tiny toys in and saved shelves on the bottom for his big toys!

Hopefully, this will inspire you to search for those pieces you need to help organize your kids play room or area! If you do not have FB you could also check out craigslist in your area! Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment